Plastering Advice

What is plastering ?

There are many different types of plastering and there are also several terms regularly used by plasterers.

To help you understand, I will explain in brief some of the terms used, what they are and what they involve.

Internal Plastering
Plastering that is done inside of a building.

External Plastering
Plastering that is done outside.

This is the final coat of plaster that can be applied to areas like new plasterboard, a rendered wall, an old wall or ceiling or a newly floated wall.

The skim coat is about 2 – 3 mm thick ( approx ) and can take between 90 -150 minutes to complete. This coat can be used to tidy up an old wall and prepare it for a painted finish as well as being applied to a newly built wall.

Rendering can be done internally and externally, usually it would only be done indoors if the building was slightly older and needed some kind of waterproof protection. The render coat’s thickness can vary greatly especially in older buildings but would usually be around 12 - 15mm thick. The render coat would have a skim coat over the top to prepare for a painted finish. The render is ruled off using long straight edged tools to ensure a flat wall.

External rendering is often used on houses and means the building can be painted for a nice flat finish. Many people get rid of their old pebble dashing and have flat rendered walls instead which look much nicer ( and your kids can’t pick the stones off of the wall ! ).

Floating is the modern alternative to rendering and there are several materials used for this. Hardwall and Bonding are the most commonly used and are chosen depending on the type of background to which they are being applied. This coat would normally be ruled off the same as a rendered coat, would be between 12 – 15mm thick ( approx ) and would be a tough finish.

Float and set
Applying the backing coat(floated coat) and the skim coat is known as float and set.

Often referred to as dot and dabbed. Dot and dabbed is a term used when plasterboards are stuck to the wall using some form of board adhesive. This can be a quick way of getting flat walls but some people do not like it due to the hollow spaces created between the wall and the board. This hollow can make fitting things like shelves to the walls tricky and require special fittings.

Plasterboard can also be fitted to partitions or metal frames. This is quite common in many new builds and while it does not give the solid finish of brick walls it can be a quicker solution to splitting a room in two.

Wooden partitions can also be used in the same way and the boards should be fixed using screws. Some people will still use nails but does not give such a strong hold as screws would offer.

Ruling off
A tool called a straight edge is used to flatten the wall. This should be done vertically and horizontally to create an even layer throughout.

Main Services

* Plastering
* Skimming
* Floor Screeding
* Pebble Dashing
* Damp Proofing

Additional Services

* Rendering
* Coving
* Dry Lining
* Tacking
* Artexing

Contact us

Roger Bolitho - R B Plastering
15, Kingswood Court, Southcote Rd
Reading RG30 2AU
Telephone: 01184  376897
Mobile : 07977 474 577